Recipe adapted from MyPlate for Moms, How to Feed Yourself & Your Family Better, by Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D.
Treat your family to a meaty mushroom pizza that is simple and flavorful.
Yield: 2 servings
Serving Size: 1 flatbread
6 ounces white button mushrooms
6 ounces cremini mushrooms
freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces 93% lean ground beef
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
2 – 12 inch light whole wheat wraps
1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F.
2. Chop mushrooms into ¼-inch pieces.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add meat and cook, breaking meat into very small bits. Drain. Season with freshly ground black pepper. Remove from pan and reserve.
4. Add olive oil to skillet. Add mushrooms and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Drain. Add beef back to pan and combine with mushrooms.
5. In a small bowl, combine ricotta cheese, oregano, and basil. Spread the cheese mixture on two 12-inch light whole wheat wraps, dividing evenly. Layer equal amounts of the beef and mushroom mixture on top of the cheese mixture. Sprinkle with the grated cheese.
6. Place the pizza directly on the oven rack. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Take pizza out of the oven and onto the flame this grilling season. Place pizza directly on the grill and close lid. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until cheese melts and bread is crisp.
- ½ cup cottage cheese blended with 1 tablespoon of milk in blender or food processor is a suitable substitute for ricotta cheese.
- Use fresh herbs like oregano and basil instead of Parmesan cheese and also use reduced fat cheese for a lighter version with less cholesterol, fat and saturated fat.
Calories: 499; Total Fat: 22g; Saturated Fat: 11g; Cholesterol: 88mg; Sodium: 923mg; Carbohydrate: 29g; Dietary Fiber: 11g; Protein: 56g.
You might also like: