Mushroom Masters: Wild Card (Final Week!)
We have reached the final week of the Mushroom Masters and it’s going to be a wild one- wild card, that is. We recruited an old friend to bring the competition home with a US win this week.
Have you ever wanted to eat a mushroom for dessert? With this recipe you just might. These buttery stuffed mushrooms get their flavor from a marriage between creamy, stinky brie and toasty hazelnuts. Rosemary and cranberries add layers of festivity. A pinch of salt is key.
Triple cream brie tends to hold its shape better than softer versions, which might turn into a puddle inside your mushroom. And if you have the patience, toasting the hazelnuts prior to beginning would bring out even more deliciousness. Dried rosemary can be subbed in for fresh, and any fragrant oil, such as walnut or coconut oils, can be exchanged for the hazelnut oil.
This bunch would make an excellent party appetizer and aren’t all that rich either – consider this recipe the tastiest way to get in a vegetable possible!
Makes a dozen mushrooms (Serves 3-4)
12 cremini mushrooms, washed and dried
24 whole hazelnuts plus 1 tbsp crushed hazelnuts
2-3 ounces triple cream brie cheese
¼ cup dried cranberries or mixed dried berries
2 tbsp hazelnut oil
1 sprig fresh rosemary, chopped
¼ tsp kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Remove stem from mushrooms by cutting around and twisting off.
- Pour hazelnut oil into a mixing bowl and add mushrooms. Toss to evenly coat.
- Place mushrooms stemless side down onto baking sheet. Place in oven for about 3 minutes.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and turn over. (If your mushrooms are particularly watery, you may need to pat sheet dry or use a clean baking sheet).
- Add 1-2 whole hazelnuts to the bowl, depending on mushroom size.
- Top with 1-2 half-inch, thin slices of brie.
- Top with cranberries.
- Mix rosemary and salt evenly and sprinkle over mushrooms.
- Return to oven for additional 5 minutes baking, depending on mushroom size.
- You may wish to rest on paper towel for a moment to absorb moisture.
- Serve hot.