I’ve been a little overwhelmed with produce from our organic box lately and with Canadian Thanksgiving just gone, our fridge has been inundated with leftovers. What to do? Make a seasonal pizzete, of course, starring portabella mushrooms!
These are fine with or without turkey so you can make them according to what your guests prefer. Two would make a great meal on its own with a green salad or you could serve a single one as a starter. However you serve them they are tasty and pretty and speak to fall flavours so beautifully!
Serves 3 main course, 6 starters
Sweet Potato Mash “Sauce” Ingredients:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and parboiled
- mashed with:
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 portabella mushroom caps (stems removed, cleaned if necessary)
- 6 heaping tablespoons cranberry sauce
- about ½ cup shredded cooked turkey or rotisserie chicken
- about ½ cup shredded cheese such at Emmenthal
- Chopped flat-leaf parsley for serving
1. Grill the portabella caps in a heavy grilling pan (or if you’re lucky enough for the weather to still be warm enough to grill, you could totally do these on the barbecue).
2. Spread the sweet potato mash over the portabella caps.
3. Top with the cranberry sauce, turkey (if you are using it) and cheese.
4. Place under a pre-heated broiler (high) for a couple of minutes until the cheese starts to bubble and turn golden. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve!
I can’t think of a better use for fall produce or Thanksgiving leftovers than these pizzas. After all that indulgence over our Thanksgiving, these were a perfect light meal on their own. Do try them, they’re easy and pretty!