An Eat Right Routine
Kelsey from The Naptime Chef shares how mushrooms are a key ingredient in her healthy, delicious meal plan for the fall.
With a baby on board this fall I am focused on making sure I eat right all season. For me that means staying away from fatty, sugary foods and sticking with nutrient rich vegetables, like mushrooms. One of the ways I’ve been enjoying mushrooms lately is lightly cooked and served on fresh grilled bread with a dash of melted Parmesan cheese.
I came up with the idea for these when I saw a vegetarian melt sandwich at a local diner. It was piled high with vegetables and tossed with tons of gooey cheese! To make mine more in tune with my eat right routine I dialed down the cheese, put away the butter and made it using this simple recipe instead.
“The versatility of mushrooms in any dish make them the perfect ingredient to add a hearty and nutritious touch to the meal.”
We love to enjoy these toasts alongside fresh grilled chicken or fish, or even served right alongside a fall green salad.
Mushroom-Parmesan Melts on Grilled Bread
Makes 4 small, or 2 large grilled breads
- 4 slices whole wheat country bread sliced ¼-inch thick
- 12 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
1. To grill the bread heat a grill to medium and place the bread slices over indirect heat for about 3-minutes per side or until grill marks begin to show. This step can also be completed on a grill pan.
2. While the bread cools add the mushrooms and salt to a sauté pan and warm over medium heat. Cook the mushrooms until they release their liquid and cook down so they are completely softened.
3. Turn the broiler on high and place the grilled bread on a baking sheet. Divide the mushrooms among the four pieces of grilled bread and top with equal amounts of the Parmesan cheese.
4. Broil the toasts for about 2 minutes, or just until the Parmesan begins to melt. Remove immediately. Drizzle the breads with the olive oil and serve!