Erin Chase from $5 Dinners stretches two meals from one with her recipe for mushroom meatballs that the entire family loves.
Our family loves meatballs. We love them with pasta and we love them on subs. And these mushroom-meatballs are a perfect way to stretch your regular meatball recipe just a little further.
Here’s what I suggest doing with these mushroom meatballs.
- Make the subs as directed in the recipe below.
- Save the extra meatballs (because there will be extras, unless you plan on serving a crowd!) and freeze them to use later with your favorite pasta noodle.
This recipe will make 14-15 large meatballs, or 26-30 smaller mini meatballs. Since you’ll only need 8 meatballs for the sandwiches (for a family of 4), plan to repurpose the leftovers with pasta…or you could take them for lunch the next day too.
We devoured the mushroom-meatball subs, and we hope you will too!
Mushroom- Meatball Sub Sandwiches
Yield – Makes 4 sandwiches
- 8 oz. white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 ½ pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning (omit if using seasoned bread crumbs)
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup spaghetti sauce
- 4 sub or bollillo rolls
- 4 slices cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the chopped mushrooms, ground beef, bread crumbs, egg, Italian seasoning, garlic salt and pepper. Mix well and then form into meatballs. Place the meatballs into a glass baking dish, and then top with a spoonful of spaghetti sauce on each meatball.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until meatballs cook through. Note that cooking time will vary depending on size of the meatballs. If making mini-meatballs, cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, split open the rolls or bread lengthwise and scoop out the bread from the bottom half, so the meatballs can rest inside the bottom piece of the roll. Break a slice of cheese in half, and then place on top of the meatball. Microwave for 30 seconds, or put in the oven for a few minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Serve Mushroom-Meatball Subs with side of favorite fresh fruit and chips.