Denise from Chez Us starts the day off with a mushroom kick with these fluffy, savory mushroom breakfast burritos – featuring sautéed spinach, eggs and queso fresco.
During the week, I like to have some quick go to recipes for breakfast tucked away in my recipe box. Not sure about you, but starting the day off with a nutritious as well as filling breakfast is the only way to get me through a busy morning. This recipe for Mushroom Breakfast Burritos has become a go-to recipe which we have often been enjoying.
For this recipe, I used the blendability method when making this it. I have to say I am becoming a huge fan this approach when cooking with mushrooms, as it is a great way to incorporate mushrooms into meals. As well, I imagine it would be the perfect way to get your kids to eat mushrooms without them even knowing (Lenny had no idea, he thought I crumbled up sausage).
I kept the seasoning quick and easy. In addition to the mushrooms, some yellow onion and our favorite taco seasoning, was all that was needed to give this burrito the wow factor. The great thing about the breakfast burrito is that you can take it with you, think of it as breakfast on the go. My only tip, be sure to not over stuff the tortilla with filling before wrapping it up, or it could explode on you as you are dashing out the door.
Mushroom Breakfast Burritos
- 20 medium cremini mushrooms, cleaned and stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons minced yellow onion
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 3 ounces spinach
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon butter
- queso fresco
- 4 burrito sized tortillas
- favorite salsa
- Place the mushrooms into a food processor and finely chop.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion, stir and cook until soft, about 3 minutes
- Add the mushrooms, and cook for 5 minutes over medium low heat.
- Stir in the taco seasoning, then add the spinach. Cook until lightly wilted, about 1 minute.
- Place the mixture into a bowl and set aside.
- Wipe out the frying pan.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter in the frying pan that you used for cooking the mushrooms.
- Add the eggs, and cook until soft set.
- Heat the tortillas.
- Place a tortilla on a plate, add some of the mushroom mixture, the eggs and a sprinkle of queso fresco.
- Wrap up burrito style.
- If you are serving at home, just cut and plate, serving some salsa on the side. If you will be taking it with you, cut the burrito in half, wrap in some parchment paper, and eat on the go.