Gaby from What’s Gaby Cooking shares a recipe for Pan Roasted Mushrooms that will make you rethink your basic scrambled eggs.
Pan Roasted Mushrooms are my jam. I enjoy them the same way most people feel about candy. I think it must be because I went 24 years without eating mushrooms and I’ve been making up for lost time the last three years.
I stock crimini mushrooms at all times, so I’ll whip up a quick batch of pan roasted mushrooms and serve them alongside some scrambled eggs and fresh chives for a nutritious and delicious breakfast!
I’ve officially killed my herb garden through neglect, so instead of using fresh thyme, I’m using dried thyme! Either one works, but if you’ve killed your garden like me, or it’s gone into hibernation for the fall, dried thyme is 100% acceptable.
Can we talk about scrambling eggs while we’re on the breakfast train? I’m more of a slow-cooked, over low-heat, gal so the eggs end up like ribbons and are smooth when you eat them.
So with these pan roasted mushrooms, perfectly scrambled eggs, and freshly chopped chives, you will have a delicious breakfast on your hands that’s in season all year long.
Pan Roasted Mushrooms
- 8 ounces Crimini mushrooms, cleaned and cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon olive oil or butter
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 8 large eggs
- shredded parmesan cheese
- Heat the olive oil over high heat. Once hot, add the mushrooms, dried thyme and garlic powder and sauté for 10 minutes until the mushrooms are soft and their flavor deepens, almost to the point of caramelization to bring out their earthly and decadent flavor. Once fully cooked, remove from the pan and season with salt and pepper.
- In the same pan, add a touch more olive oil or butter if needed and heat over medium high heat. In a medium bowl, crack the eggs and whisk together. Carefully pour the eggs into the hot pan and using a spatula, slowly drag it along the bottom of the pan allowing the eggs to cook slowly and evenly.
- Once the eggs are cooked, season them with salt and pepper and transfer even portions to 4 plates. Add equal amounts of mushrooms to all 4 plates and sprinkle with chives and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.