A recipe can sometimes seem perfect, and even when you follow the instructions to a science, you can be left thinking there’s a flavor, texture or spice that’s missing. Luckily, there is an easy and simple solution to this dilemma, which is always having mushrooms on hand. Whether it’s tossing them into a fajita mixture or dicing them into a meatball, mushrooms can be that flavorful, umami ingredient that truly makes a dish shine. Take a look at ten simple ways to take your recipes to the next level with mushrooms:
1) Sautéed mushrooms can last for a month in the freezer. Store in the freezer in small, proportioned storage bags, to keep on hand as an easy addition to pasta, burgers, pizza and more.
2) When you’re looking for a variety of flavors in one bite, stuffed mushrooms are the perfect go-to for an appetizer or light snack.
3) Mushrooms are a perfect pairing for an egg-based breakfast. From omelets, frittatas or breakfast burritos, they are a simple and easy addition to toss in at the spur of the moment.
4) If you want to add a hearty texture to your pasta sauce, diced mushrooms are the addition to your favorite recipe.
5) Risotto is a perfect comfort meal for any season, based on the variety of flavors you add from spring peas to fall squash. Luckily, mushrooms are a natural fit anytime of the year.
6) Prepare a vegetarian wrap for lunch with hummus, mushrooms and chickpeas and you’ll feel like you took a lunch break to the Mediterranean.
7) Mushrooms can put a savory twist on your baking routine as the filling for a Rustic Mushroom Tart.
8) Add a boost of flavor and nutrition to your quinoa with a handful of sautéed mushrooms.
9) Family favorites can get a dose of mushroom love, such as creamy and cheesy Baked Mushroom Mac and Cheese.
10) If you’re out of bread, portabella mushrooms can serve as a “meaty” and hearty replacement to a bun for your burger or sandwich, such as in this Portabella Halloumi Burger.
For more ideas, check out our full recipe database and discover mushrooms full potential in every meal.