Brooke from Cheeky Kitchen puts an extra ounce of love into her morning routine with a mushroom rich breakfast pizza that will have you dreaming as soon as you hit the pillow.
I once had a friend tell me that he couldn’t wait to go to bed at night, because it meant he’d get a cup of coffee in the morning. He’d slide his feet into the sheets of his bed, then just breathe in the air, knowing that the next time he awoke, that same breath would suck in the smells of coffee.
Waking up in the morning is one of the finest wonders of this life, so long as there is something worth looking forward to. It’s easy to get in a rut with the mornings. Same breakfasts. Same routine. Is it any wonder some of us rue Mondays?
To inspire a little more love in your mornings, here is a recipe idea that will take your traditional breakfast blah’s over the top into La La Love Land! It’s a breakfast pizza, rich with mushrooms, bacon, and a perfectly soft-cooked egg, topped with creamy cheese.
Mushrooms are such a beautiful, satisfying way to start your day. They offer a savory, filling satisfaction to the morning meal, while pairing beautifully with all your favorite breakfast flavors. Mushrooms and bacon? Yes. Mushrooms and eggs? Yes. Mushrooms and cheese? Yes, yes, and double yes. Put them all together? We’ll take two and call you in the morning. Then, we’ll start it all over again!
If you’re looking for a deliciously wonderful way to go to bed with something to look forward to, put mushrooms on your menu! Better yet, put mushrooms on your breakfast pizza and start any day (and every day!) off right!
Dig in, bite big, and remember why you love the morning!
I HEART MUSHROOMS Breakfast Pizza
This simple recipe is the perfect answer for breakfast on any morning! It’s quick, filling, and tastes delicious. Better yet, it’s fancy enough for a weekend brunch, or easy enough to toss together on those busy school mornings. If you’re looking for a fun twist on traditional breakfasts, try this recipe and prepare to gain a new favorite!
Makes 2 Pizzas
- 1 tube refrigerated pizza dough
- 1/2 cup smoked mozzarella, swiss, or gouda cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon red onion, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped parsley or thyme
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Unroll pizza dough and cut into two large heart shapes with a sharp knife. Discard remaining dough (or simple slice the dough into four pieces and double the pizza ingredients in this recipe to make four personal-sized pizzas). Roll the edges of the pizza up to make a crust.
- In a small bowl, stir together cheese, mayonnaise, and red onion. Spread the cheese mixture around the edges of each pizza, leaving an opening in the center of each heart. Crack an egg into the center space where there is no cheese. Sprinkle mushrooms and bacon bits around the edges of the pizza. Bake in preheated oven for 11-14 minutes, just until the whites of the eggs are cooked, but the yolks are still runny.
- Remove from oven. Cool slightly. Sprinkle fresh parsley on top to garnish. Serve and enjoy!