An easy family favorite, tacos have long been a go-to for busy families looking for a quick and delicious weeknight dinner that’s customizeable to individual tastes. Between variations in shells and toppings, anyone can find a favorite with this versatile recipe. For those looking for a boost of savory umami flavor, look no further! Whether blended with ground meat or topping your favorite spice blend, mushrooms are a hearty addition to any taco recipe.
To celebrate the mighty mushroom taco, we’ve rounded up a number of our favorite recipes. You’ll also find a recipe for a basic blended mushroom taco from Cherry Creek Nutrition, perfect for anyone looking to get started in creating a signature taco that amps up the nutritional factor.
What’s your favorite way to cook up this dinner staple?
- Chipotle Mushroom Tacos – made with a zesty blend of Crimini and Portabella mushrooms, these tacos are a meatless way to spice up a weeknight dinner fave.
- Mushroom & Poblano Tacos with Goat Cheese – Kick your recipe up a notch by topping a meatless tacos with complementary poblano peppers and goat cheese.
- Mushroom, Potato and Chorizo Tacos – blending finely chopped mushrooms with zesty chorizo and potato is a surefire way to add spice to your weeknights.
- Mushroom Bulgogi Tacos – Asian fusion flavors are complemented with meaty mushrooms make for an inspired anytime meal.
- Mushroom and Chorizo Tacos – pack more flavor into your dinner with a combination of spicy chorizo and hearty mushrooms.
BASIC MUSHROOM/BEEF TACOS
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 lb white button mushroom (pulsed in food processor into small bits- not pureed!)
1 lb 97% lean ground beef (organic & grass fed if possible)/ or ground turkey or chicken
1-2 Tbsp taco seasonings or chili powder
1 tsp salt
shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes
Heat the oil in skillet, add mushrooms and salt. Cook for about 8-10 minutes until moisture disappears. Add ground beef, chicken or turkey, break up and cook thoroughly. Add 1-2 tbsp taco seasoning of choice and mix altogether- may need to add a little water.
Serve in taco shells, topped with shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes. Delicious!