Paula of bell’amimento gives us a delicious meal, Mushroom Marsala Chicken Pot Pie, to warm you up from the brisk cold.
Oh baby it’s cold outside! In my neck of the east coast woods it most definitely is. Cold to me means (well besides boots and seriously soft sweaters) comfort food is cooking in my kitchen at all times. I’ve always been a fan of our family’s chicken Marsala pot pie recipe. It warms me from tip to toe and is what I crave when the temperature drops and of course when I’m under the weather.
I’m not sure why before this month I never thought to add SHROOMS to our pot pie party. After all, mushrooms and Marsala go together like sha na na na na (you get the picture). Well let’s just say that this pot pie was pretty awesome before but after the addition of shrooms it’s kinda extraordinary.
We like to use leftover roasted chicken (hello take two meals) to make ours but if you can always roast one specifically for this or pick up one from your favorite market. Pie crust or puff pastry tops this off. Go with what you like!
Mushroom Marsala Chicken Pot Pie
Paula Jones – bell’alimento
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion – minced
- 1 medium potato – peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery – diced
- 3 carrots – peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 8 ounces baby portobella mushrooms – quartered
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup Marsala
- 2-3 cups roasted herb chicken diced
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup frozen English peas
- 1 pie crust – thawed
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in a french oven over medium-high heat. Add: onion, potato, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms. Season with nutmeg and salt/pepper. Cook for approximately 10 minutes OR until vegetables are softened. Stirring as necessary.
- Add Marsala and deglaze pan. Add chicken. Sprinkle flour on top. Stir to coat. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil.
- Add cream and peas and stir to combine. Check for seasoning. Adjust as necessary. Transfer mixture to one large oven proof dish or several smaller oven proof ramekins.
- Place pie crust across top of dish /dishes. Crimp edges.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes OR until crust is flaky and golden.