Kristen Doyle from Dine and Dish turned a comforting dish from her childhood into a mushroom rich dish her kids can’t get enough of.
As the mother of small children and a lover of veggies (especially mushrooms) I am constantly trying to pack extra nutrition into the different foods we eat. It’s not often that we have a dish with no veggies in it at all. I’ve had success with both sneaking them in and sharing them out in the open. Mushrooms are one of my favorite vegetables to add into recipes to amplify the flavor and nutritional value of the foods we eat. Everything from our favorite scrambled eggs, burgers on the grill, to the pizza we have for dinner gets a handful or two of mushrooms added to it. My kids love mushrooms and I enjoy knowing that by adding this simple ingredient to what we eat, I am boosting the vitamins and antioxidants that go into our bodies.
One thing I’ve been eating since I was a teen is pizza dip. It was an easy, weeknight dinner my mom used to make, but she never added vegetables. I’ve adapted my mom’s recipe to include a vegetable we all know and love… mushrooms! I never have to question whether my kids are going to eat when we have pizza dip for dinner. It gets gobbled down quickly, without any complaints. Served with chips and alongside a nice side salad and some garlic bread, this dip transforms from being an appetizer, to a hearty and filling meal.
What is your favorite recipe you add mushrooms to?
Mushroom Lovers Cheesy Pizza Dip
• 1 8-ounce package light cream cheese
• 1 cup light sour cream
• 1 cup pizza sauce (jarred or homemade)
• 1 ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
• 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, washed and chopped
• 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, washed and sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Blend together cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Spread into a 9 inch pie dish.
3. Stir together the chopped mushrooms and pizza sauce. Pour over sour cream mixture.
4. Top with shredded cheese then finish with remaining sliced mushrooms.
5. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and cheese is hot and bubbly.
6. Serve hot with tortilla chips.