From school lunch to dessert, a sandwich can take on many forms. A comforting grilled cheese is an essential classic, but when it comes to creating a decadent sandwich the possibilities are truly endless. When you have a handful of mushrooms on hand, and you’re lacking a recipe to toss them into, we guarantee there is a simple sandwich solution from breakfast to dinner.
The beauty of creating a sandwich with mushrooms is that they can serve a variety of roles. They can replace the meat altogether for a vegetarian option or replace a portion of meat creating a mushroom/meat blend that provides the best of both worlds. Finally, you can get a double dose of mushrooms by replacing the bread altogether with two hearty portabellas.
Get started with some of our favorite combinations below, and get creative in the kitchen with your own sandwich creations.
- Mushroom and Fontina Tartine – This tasty open-faced melt can be whipped up with a few basic ingredients that combine to create an amazing flavor.
- Portabella and Halloumi Burgers – Summer might feel far away, but this Portabella and Halloumi “burger” is the perfect recipe to enjoy the taste of the season in the middle of winter.
- Mushroom-Meatball Subs – Mushroom and meat blend together to create a better-for-you version in this meatball sub.
- Butter Roasted Mushroom Sandwich – Roasted mushrooms are full of flavor all on their own, but when you place them between two slices of bread with creamy cheese, you’re in for one gourmet bite.
- Grilled Philly Cheese Mushroom Sandwich - This classic regional treat gets a mushroom makeover with “meaty” portabellas as the filling.
Find more mushroom inspiration in our full recipe database!