Denise of Chez Us welcomes fall comfort favorites to the menu with this mushroom, chicken alfredo twist on classic lasagna.
While it is school season for most folks, it is conference season for us, which means lots of traveling and an extra work load besides Chez Us. When it comes to times such as this, it feels like school season around here, and a healthy and hearty meal that can last us a few days is ideal. Or one that can go from freezer to oven to table is a welcomed pleasure after a few days on the road. This recipe for Mushroom Chicken Alfredo Lasagna is exactly that, hearty and comfortable food for the table. And our bellies!
I wish I could take all the credit for coming up with this recipe; but, I have to give credit to one of my 18-year-old nephews for the genius idea with flavors. We were recently vacationing together, and over a dinner of lasagna, he wondered out loud what it would be like made with an alfredo sauce, mushrooms and chicken. I loved the idea so much that I tucked it away until we got home, and then got busy in the kitchen.
I used lots of cremini mushrooms for this recipe; in my opinion the more the merrier! I tried the recipe two ways, once with only mushrooms, and this time around with ground chicken. Both ways are great, so vegetarians you can enjoy this recipe as well. I liked using half sliced and half minced mushrooms as it added more texture to the recipe, and we are all about texture with our food. As well, the recipe works well with fresh lasagne noodles or the no boil ones, I prefer both of these options as I find that the pasta that is boiled adds more liquid to the finished dish.
All that is left to add to this meal is a salad, some warm bread and a few hungry people. You guys are going to dig this recipe!
Mushroom Chicken Alfredo Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 small cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken ** vegetarians you can skip this, and add another pound of mushrooms for the filling.
- 2 pounds cremini mushrooms, stem removed and dirt brushed off
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 stick butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 10 ounces grated parmesan
- nutmeg to taste
- lasagna noodles – either fresh or no boil ones
- Using a food processor finely mince 1 pound of the mushrooms, and slice the other 1 pound into slices. If you are vegetarian, then finely mince 2 pounds, and thinly slice 1 pound. Then skip the cooking chicken part of this recipe.
- In a large frying pan add the olive oil and thinly sliced onion. Place over medium heat, stir, lower heat to low. Cook the onions until lightly caramelized, stirring very often. This will take about 15 minutes – 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic, stir and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and place the mixture into a small bowl.
- Place the chicken into the same frying pan, using a wooden spoon break it up into small pieces. Cook over low heat for 7 minutes.
- Add the minced mushrooms, stir, and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the sliced mushrooms, stir and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the onion mixture, stir and cook for 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir in the rosemary. Set aside
- Place the butter and heavy cream into a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in 1 cup of the parmesan cheese until melted and smooth.
- Add a generous pinch of nutmeg to taste. Whisk. Set aside.
- Lightly oil a baking dish with a little olive oil. Pour about 1/4 cup of the alfredo sauce on the bottom.
- Layer with lasagna noodles, my pan fit four across the bottom. Top with some of the chicken/mushroom mixture, then sprinkle some of the cheese over the top.
- Top with another layer of noodles, and repeat until you have reached the top of your baking dish, ending with a layer of noodles. I had 3 layers, ending with noodles.
- Pour the alfredo sauce over the top, and sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Preheat oven to 350. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly and lightly golden.
- Let sit for 5 minutes.