Chez Us adds a bit of summer spice to the winter blues with this recipe for Chipotle Mushroom Tacos, just in time for Taco Tuesday.
I am always thinking forward about how to incorporate more vegetables into our everyday meals with less emphasis on using meat. One ingredient that I turn to time and time again is the mushroom as I like to think of it as the “other” meat when working with a recipe. Besides being hearty, mushrooms are fat-free, cholesterol free and are a rich source of vitamin B. What more could you ask for?
For this recipe, I replaced the meat by using finely chopped crimini mushrooms, which was seasoned with smoky chipotle peppers and adobo sauce. Add some texture, I added slices of portobella and crimini mushrooms along with thinly sliced yellow onion. The earthiness of the mushrooms mingles really well with the smoky chipotle. The mushroom mixture is so flavorful, that the only extra ingredients this taco recipe needs are a little cilantro and feta. The cilantro is cooling, and the feta is slightly tangy, which is outrageous with chipotle!
Recipe: Chipotle Mushroom Tacos
- 1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 10 medium crimini mushrooms
- 1 large portobella mushroom
- 2 large canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from the peppers
- 1 teaspoon salt
- corn tortillas
- feta cheese
- Pour the olive oil into a large frying pan and heat over medium heat.
- Add the onion, stir and lower the heat. Continue cooking the onion until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut half of the crimini and portobella mushrooms into slices.
- Using a food processor, chop the remaining crimini mushrooms and set aside.
- Add the garlic, chipotle peppers and adobo sauce to the onion mixture. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushroom slices, stir and continue cooking over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add the chopped mushrooms, stir and cook for another 4 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- To serve, place some of the mushroom mixture onto a tortilla, and top with some cilantro and feta. You can also add some salsa for a little more flavor and texture.