Erin from $5 Dinners shares a recipe for an Arborio & Mushroom dish that will let your taste buds know it’s fall regardless of what the temperature says.
When the flavors of fall collide in one dish, all feels right in the world. While the crisp fall weather is here for some, it’s still doesn’t feel like fall for others. Those in the north don their fleeces and enjoy a cup of Pumpkin Spice Latte. However, those of us in the south wish there was an iced version of Pumpkin Spice Lattes and are still sweating through Saturday morning soccer games.
This side dish/lunch/vegetarian dinner hopes to bring harmony into the current mixtures of fall weather across the country. The people in southern Arizona can enjoy this dish at the same time as their friends in northern New Hampshire. It’s a fall flavored dish that can be served chilled or warm, allowing you to enjoy the taste of fall comfort whether you live north, south, east or west.
If you’re looking to make this dish heartier for a main course, don’t forget that you can add some diced chicken or turkey to make a simple 50/50 meat and mushroom blend.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. minced onion, or 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 2 cups chicken broth (plus 1 cup water)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 10 oz. fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and pepper
- 1 sweet apple, such as honeycrisp, peeled and chopped
1. Heat the butter and olive oil to medium saucepan. Add the onion and basil and sauté for 2 minutes. Stir in the arborio rice and then quickly pour in the 2 cups of chicken broth. Bring to a boil and let the broth soak into the rice. Then add the 1 cup of water and continue cooking until it has been absorbed.
2. Meanwhile, sauté the mushrooms in the olive oil for 2 minutes, then add the spinach and cook until most of the leaves have wilted. Transfer to mixing bowl.
3. Once the rice has cooked, add to the mixing bowl and combine with the mushrooms and spinach. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Stir in the apple pieces.
5. Serve Arborio & Mushroom Fall Side Dish, warm with some chicken, or chilled for a quick lunch on the run.