With the holidays right around the corner, Paula from bell’alimento created a tart recipe that can be whipped up for any special occasion or even a weeknight meal.
When you’re looking for a multi-tasking dish, that can open as an appetizer, or take center stage as an entrée, a savory tart is your answer. This vegetarian beauty is perfect for just about any occasion that you can imagine. You can even bake this as individual mini-tarts for a special presentation. It’s a terrific addition to the brunch table, too – mimosas anyone?
The mushrooms make it “meaty” and filling and the flavor factor is bumped way up with the addition of onions, herbs and plump sun dried tomatoes that have been plucked from a jar of oil. The egg, cream and cheese take it over the top. Experiment with different mushroom varieties to put a different spin on flavor. Shiitake, white button or crimini mushrooms would all be delicious, or you could even try a combination of all three.
It comes together quickly with a little help from the refrigerated crust aisle. Planning a party this holiday season? Go ahead and impress your guests with this tantalizing tart!
- 1 – 9” refrigerated pie crust.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ onion, minced
- 12 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup stock
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh flat leaf Italian parsley
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sliced sun dried tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 375°.
2. Spray a 9” tart pan with non-stick cooking spray. Place pie crust into tart pan. Remove, discard excess. Prick bottom with tines of fork. Bake for approximately 10 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms, cook for approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, stock and parsley. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to simmer. Add lemon juice and season with salt/pepper.
4. Pour mushroom mixture into crust.
5. In a small bowl add cheese, egg and cream. Mix to combine.
6. Sprinkle the sun dried tomatoes evenly over the mushrooms in the crust. Pour egg mixture over. Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until set.
7. Cool slightly prior to serving. Garnish with additional parsley or green onions.