By Phoebe Lapine of Feed Me Phoebe
Most people love the idea of cooking on Sunday for the week ahead. But usually the meals that come to mind resemble lasagna pan Tetris, with pieces of various shapes getting chiseled off throughout the week. It’s sometimes hard to think of healthy options beyond creamy, meaty casseroles.
Even though most of us aren’t lucky enough to be returning from summer camp, back-to-school season still marks a new beginning of sorts, as our schedules pick up again and we have to return to our daily rituals. While leaving the office at 1pm on Fridays during the summer to soak in the sun by the pool might have made cooking and entertaining a breeze, now that it’s back to business, we could all use a little help saving time in the kitchen with meals that are healthy to prepare – and mushrooms make it easy.
Here are some of my favorite mushroom-filled ideas for dishes you can make for the busy workweek ahead.
–Phoebe Lapine of Feed Me Phoebe
1. Mushroom Hot & Sour Soup – a great vegetarian, gluten-free spin on the Chinese takeout classic.
2. Wild Mushroom Risotto – a big batch of this hearty grain will keep you satisfied all week long. Simply add a little stock to reheat and enjoy the second time around.
3. Kale Salad with Cremini Mushrooms and Lemon Vinaigrette – kale is one of the few greens that can be pre-dressed and still last for a few days in the fridge without spoiling.
4. Portobello Mushroom Burgers with Romesco Sauce – portabellas can be grilled or baked at the beginning of the week and quickly thrown together in these sandwiches for a last minute lunchbox or dinner option.
5. Mushroom Tacos with Mexican Brown Rice – both the mushrooms and the rice are great make-ahead fillings to have in the fridge for an impromptu taco night.