It’s finally spring! This time of year always makes me itch for a fun getaway. Since there is no spring break vacation on my calendar this year I decided to give myself a staycation, complete with my favorite vacation food…fajitas!
Fajitas have always been a favorite of mine because they are tasty no matter what I’m craving – beef, chicken or even veggie. This time I settled on using steak. It’s the perfect complement to the medley of crisp-tender spring veggies like onions, bell peppers and mushrooms. And besides, who doesn’t love the flavor-packed combo of steak and mushrooms?
This recipe was a total breeze to put together. While the steak marinated, I chopped all of my veggies and preheated the grill. In less than 15 minutes, I was ready to savor the flavors of vacation without having to leave my backyard!
If you share my love for fajitas and appreciate leisurely meal preparation, then you’re going to enjoy this Mushroom Steak Fajita recipe.
- 12 oz sirloin or other boneless steak, about ¾-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon no-salt fiesta lime seasoning (Like Mrs. Dash), divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 medium green bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, sliced into strips
- 8- 6-inch whole wheat tortillas
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 2 cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 tablespoons non-fat sour cream
- Slice beef across the grain into ¼-inch strips. Place in a medium bowl with ½ tablespoon fiesta lime seasoning’ toss to coat.
- Place mushrooms, peppers and onion and remaining fiesta lime seasoning in a large bowl; toss to coat.
- Heat oil in large, non-stick skillet. Add beef strips; cook about 3-4 minutes. Remove from skillet. Place coated vegetables in skillet and sauté until vegetables are slightly tender, about 5-8 minutes. Add beef back to skillet and sauté mixture 1-2 more minutes.
- Assemble fajitas by dividing beef-vegetable mixture evenly on each tortilla, top with remaining ingredients and roll up.