Warm, creamy, and rich… just the flavors we’re looking for to forget the winter cold. This Mushroom Feta Quinoa Risotto from We are not Martha, packed with hearty flavors and filling quinoa, is just the ticket…
I’ll admit it. I’m risotto obsessed. I’m perfectly convinced that I could create a variation of risotto every single night and be perfectly happy with my dinner choice… for the rest of my life. Not to mention risotto makes the perfect leftovers for lunch the next day. Meals that you actually want to eat two days in a row or multiple times a day are always winners in my book. Mushroom risotto was the very first risotto I ever made, back in my “I’m so scared I won’t stir the risotto enough and it will stick to the pot and be ruined” days. Nowadays, I’m an old risotto pro (so I like to think) and have come to learn that constantly stirring the pot isn’t necessary. (Literally and figuratively.)
The other night, I had a desire to go back to my roots, while at the same time experimenting. And thus, I pulled my quinoa out of the pantry and grabbed a block of feta cheese and, of course, my old friends, mushrooms. A new risotto was born; one filled with healthy whole grains that will keep you nice and satisfied. Of course, the mushrooms really make this dish and add to its incredible earthy feel. Mushrooms and risotto will always go together like soul sisters. But adding a little extra pizazz is exactly what we need to keep life (and dinner) exciting.
Mushroom Feta Quinoa Risotto (serves 4-6):
- 4-5 C low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 T olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 C mushrooms of your choice (I used shitake and baby bella), chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 C quinoa
- 1/2 C dry white wine
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 C spinach
1) In a medium saucepan, bring chicken broth to a boil then lower to a simmer and keep on burner.
2) In a separate, medium-large saucepan, heat your olive oil over medium heat. Add the shallots, garlic, and mushrooms and cook for about 3 minutes, until onions are transparent.
3) Add the quinoa to the pot and cook for about 2 minutes.
4) Pour the wine in, listen to it sizzle, and then stir it a bit while the quinoa absorbs the wine.
5) Add one cup of chicken broth to the pot and stir a bit. You don’t have to constantly stir, but do check on the quinoa from time to time to make sure it’s not sticking to the pot. As soon as the chicken broth is absorbed by the quinoa, add another cup. Continue until the quinoa is nice and tender, but still firm. Don’t be a afraid to taste! That’s the best part.
6) Once all of the broth has been absorbed, stir in feta cheese. Take the risotto off the heat and stir in the spinach so it gets a little wilted.
7) Enjoy the most perfect comfort food of all.