Recipe courtesy of the Mushroom Council
Yield: 24 servings
4½ cups Short Grain white rice
1/2 cup Seasoned rice vinegar
3/4 cup (12 ounces) Green onions, thinly sliced
1½ pounds Fresh Shiitake mushrooms
Vegetable oil as needed
Wasabi paste (Japanese horseradish) as needed
Soy Sauce as needed
Pickled ginger as needed
24 Green onion brushes
- Toss hot and cooked, short grain white rice with seasoned rice vinegar. Cool. Stir in green onions. Cover with damp cloth and set aside at room temperature.
- Remove stems from Shiitake mushrooms. Brush with vegetable oil; grill or broil till tender. Cool.
- Smear inside of each cap with wasabi paste (Japanese horseradish) and sprinkle with several drops of soy sauce.
- With moistened hands, shape rice mixture into small balls, about 1 tablespoon each, and place in centers of caps.
- Arrange on tray; cover with damp cloth. Set aside at room temperature.
Serve 3 mushrooms per order. Garnish each plate with a spoonful of pickled ginger and a green onion brush.