Serving Size: 4 burgers
1/2 pound 95% ground beef, extra lean
10 ounces white button mushrooms, chopped finely
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 cup breadcrumbs or coconut flour (to keep gluten-free)
2 large poblanos
1/3 cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
Chunky Tomato sauce:
2 tomatoes, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1/3 cup Mexican crema or plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 garlic clove, minced 1/2 lemon, juiced
4 Potato hamburger rolls
For Burgers: (cook while peppers are grilling)
- In a medium bowl, mix in the ground beef and mushrooms together. Add the spices, breadcrumbs, and egg and continue to mix until well combined. Divide into 4 patties.
- Do not cook burgers until the poblanos peppers are finished roasting. Grill on a skillet for 7 minutes on each side until medium rare. Keep burgers warm in oven.
For Chile Rellenos:
- Preheat oven to broil. Place large poblano peppers on a baking sheet lined with foil and lightly oil the peppers. Place baking sheet on second to highest level in oven. Broil for 10-12 minutes rotating the pepper every 3 minutes. The skin on the pepper will start bubbling, and gets toasted and blackens. No burning though!
- As soon as the peppers are removed from oven, place peppers in a plastic ziplock bag to allow peppers to sweat, allowing the pepper skin to soften. After 10-15 minutes, remove peppers, and remove outer pepper skin with a paper towel. Using gloves and a knife, carefully remove the stem and empty some of the seeds. This keeps the pepper a bit spicy. If you prefer a less spicy pepper, then remove all seeds.
- Split the pepper in half and fill with half of the mozzarella cheese and close the pepper, repeat with second pepper. Heat a medium nonstick pan with 1 Tablespoon olive oil on medium heat. Grill peppers for 5 minutes on each side or until cheese is melted. Cut each pepper in half for a total of 4 chile rellenos.
- For tomato sauce (prepare while roasting peppers): In a medium skillet, sauté onions and tomatoes in olive oil over medium-high heat for 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the grilled chile relleno to the tomato sauce.
For crema sauce (topping):
- Mix crema or sour cream, lemon juice and garlic until well combined.
- Toast the potato buns. Add one burger patty to base of bread. Top each burger with a chile relleno with tomato sauce. Add a dollop of crema on top and close with a hamburger top. Enjoy!